How to Apply
Each year the UC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine has three openings for PGY-1 residents. PGY-1 positions are filled through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). Applications are accepted only through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and must be received by December 1 for appointments beginning July 1 of the following year.
The following minimum requirements are used when considering candidates who apply to our program:
- Passed USMLE Step I, II, and CS exams, or COMLEX equivalent, preferably on first attempt. USMLE Step I, II, and CS must be passed before beginning residency. Residents must have passed USMLE III by the end of PGY1 to be promoted.
- USMLE scores of 208 or better.
- Prefer graduation from medical school within the past six years.
- Foreign medical school graduates must be ECGMG certified. Our residency program only sponsors J-1 visas.
- US clinical experience is preferred but not required.
- Three LOR are required.
- Complete ERAS application.
Based upon the application materials, the residency selection committee will issue an invitation to interview with our department. We offer interviews from October through December. As a candidate, the interview will begin at 8:30 am with a program overview presentation, interviews with the program director and several faculty members, lunch with current pathology residents and a tour of the department and medical center with a current resident.