About the Residency Program
Welcome to the University of Cincinnati Emergency Medicine Residency Program!
The University of Cincinnati was the first Emergency Medicine residency established in 1970 and has remained at the cutting edge of residency training. Our motto of “Leadership, Excellence & Opportunity” is promoted in all aspects of our training. The residency is a 1-4 year program with an emphasis on progressive responsibility and autonomy. Highlights of the program include:
- First Emergency Medicine Residency Program in the United States, established in 1970.
- We recruit residents from a national pool of top medical school applicants. Our graduates hold leadership positions across the country and are often offered leadership positions directly out of residency, thus allowing us to maintain a strong national reputation.
- Outstanding clinical experience in the Center for Emergency Care at University of Cincinnati Medical Center: an urban, high volume Level I trauma center and quaternary care center with a focus on indigent care.
- Two community suburban clinical sites, as well as a pediatric suburban clinical site, that complement the experience at UCMC by allowing residents to learn community-based Emergency Medicine.
- Graduated responsibility across a four-year program, with each year adding unique challenges and opportunities. Each resident has a defined role in providing patient care in the ED.
- Integrated pediatric emergency shifts throughout all four years at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. CCHMC is ranked by US News/World Report as one of the Top 3 pediatric hospitals nationally.
- Commitment to research including resident research grants, strong infrastructure and mentorship through Emergency Medicine Research Interest Group, a PhD biostatistician on faculty, research associates for assistance with data collection and the possibility of completing the Resident Research Track for residents with an interest in a research career.
- Attending physicians with many areas of expertise within Emergency Medicine, such as research, neurological emergencies, critical care, cardiovascular emergencies, ultrasound, toxicology, operations, education, simulation, quality improvement, basic science research, Emergency Medical Services, etc. Air Care aeromedical experience beginning in the second year of residency with a resident/nurse flight team, 1400 flights/year.
- Strong EMS curriculum with ground, aeromedical, and telemetry training. Many residents serve as Assistant Medical Directors for squads throughout the city. Opportunities in tactical medicine/SWAT, urban search and rescue, mass gathering medicine, and disaster training. Among the first ACGME accredited EMS fellowships
- Unique opportunities for career development and exploration during extensive elective time: aeromedical, basic and clinical research, ultrasound, toxicology, wilderness medicine, international EM, education, operations, observation medicine, EM chapter opportunities, EMS assistant medical directorship, and many other resident-developed electives. Elective time is resident-driven and structured around each individual resident’s career aspirations.
- Extensive trauma and critical care experience, both in the ED and off-service.
- Emphasis on team atmosphere with strong ancillary services, social work & psychiatric services.
- Strong resident-driven Grand Rounds including Morbidity and Mortality Conference, evidence-based medicine lectures, core content reviews, Clinical Pathologic Cases, simulation-based learning, small group workshops, Journal Club and case follow-ups. Due to emphasis on teaching, public speaking, and presentation skills, each resident lectures at Grand Rounds every year.
- Daily oral boards style “morning report” for those working clinically.
- Supportive environment and mentorship that allows you to become the best physician you can be.
We hope this website gives you a taste of the wide variety of opportunities offered to our Emergency Medicine residents. Please feel free to contact us for further information.