College of Medicine Research Core Facilities
The UC College of Medicine houses a number of research core facilities designated as core service centers. These facilities exist within multiple departments but are collectively supported by the College of Medicine, Office of Research through the Associate Dean for Research Core Facilities: Ken Greis, PhD. (firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: 513-558-7012).
The service center designation signifies that the rates charged by each of these facilities have been reviewed and approved by the UC government cost compliance office, thus the service fees can be cross-charged to federal grants and contracts. Details related to the services offered and the internal rates for each of the cores are provided below. Since these rates are substantially subsidized by the University, external investigators should contact individual core directors to get a rate quote.
Resources to offset some of the cost of the core services may be available through a variety of centers and institutes across UC depending on an investigator’s affiliation. Information related to some of those opportunities and the website links are provided below:
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training (CCTST) Just-in-Time Core Support
- Center for Environmental Genetics (CEG) Integrative Technologies Support
We have recently transitioned our core facilities booking and management to the PPMS system from Stratocore. To book and access services from the core facilities, please log in or create an account in Stratocore via:
Stratocore Account Creation Guides:
Center for Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Services (CBBS)
The mission of this center is to support research in the College of Medicine (COM) by connecting biomedical scientists with the joint expertise of the faculty, staff and graduate students in the Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics. The joint expertise of CBBS faculty covers a wide range of biostatistics and bioinformatics topics. CBBS provides the venue for obtaining short-term consulting support and for establishing long-term collaborations with CBS faculty. Please see the listing of our faculty and their expertise to select the appropriate contact.
To book services from the CBBS, please login or create an account in Stratocore at https://ppms.us/uc/start/.
CBS provides support for manuscript preparation, grant applications and other projects requiring biostatistics and bioinformatics support via several types of consulting:
1. Initial planning meeting. Initial one hour meeting to discuss project, objectives and establish the level of support that will be needed is free.
2. Short-Term Consultation. Short term consultation support is given for well-defined research projects where funds for fee-for-service charges have been secured. This service may also be used to secure biostatistical support for funded projects (grants, contracts) where the scope of work is small enough not to warrant the commitment of CBBS faculty on a percent time effort basis.
3. Funded Projects. Biostatistics and bioinformatics services for funded projects can be provided on fee-for-service basis, or at a fixed support level via FTE support for involved faculty and staff.
4. Grant application and Research Protocols. CBBS faculty provide biostatistics and bioinformatics services for individual-initiated grant applications or research protocols at all stages of grant preparation and project execution. It is expected that pre-application services will be funded through one of the existing mechanisms, while support during the project-execution period will be provided by including CBBS faculty and staff as collaborators with the adequate FTE support. Pre-application services alone can be provided on fee-for-service bases when no need for the support during the project execution is envisioned.
5. Research Unit/Research Group Support. CBBS faculty can provide biostatistics and bioinformatics support for whole research groups and academic units. Such arrangements may cover biostatistical, bioinformatics as well as educational needs of faculty, research staff and students collaborating research unit. Such support can be provided on a percent effort basis.
6. Research Central Initiated Projects. We also provide biostatistics and bioinformatics support to investigators who are CCTST members and request assistance through Research Central: the portal for intake of CCTST requests. The CCTST provides vouchers, upon approval of the application. Please contact the visit the CCTST website for more information.
Faculty consulting for COM researchers
Faculty consulting for non-COM researchers
Student consulting for COM researchers
Student consulting for non-COM researchers
Initial planning meeting.
Staff biostatistician consulting for COM researchers. Any kind of consulting work provided by a staff biostatistician with or without CBS faculty supervision. 1 $80/hour
- Mario Medvedovic