Skip to main content

How to Get a Prescription

UHS Pharmacy (Main Campus)
Richard E. Lindner Center, 3rd Floor
2751 O'Varsity Way
Cincinnati, OH 45221

University Health Services can fill prescriptions from a doctor at UHS and from outside providers. Please take your prescription to the UHS Pharmacy located on main campus to have it filled or have the provider fax the prescription to us at 513-556-1523. Providers can phone in new prescriptions to 513-585-5683. Electronic prescriptions can be accepted at the UHS Pharmacy.

Students may also request that others pick up their prescriptions. Please alert the staff at the location of your pick-up that someone else will be picking up your prescription on your behalf.

Transferring Prescriptions to University Health Services Pharmacy:

If you have an active prescription at another pharmacy and would like to transfer it to the UHS pharmacy, please call us or bring your prescription with the prescription number and phone number of the pharmacy you most recently received it from and we will call and transfer.

Remember to make sure the medication is on the formulary. To find out if your prescription is on the formulary, please call us at 513-585-5683.

Transferring Prescriptions to Another Pharmacy:

All UHS prescriptions can be transferred to another pharmacy. Please take or call the pharmacy you wish to go to and give them our prescription number and phone number. They will call us for the information. Be sure to contact the other pharmacy during the UHS Pharmacy hours (Monday - Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) to assure that we are open when they call to transfer.

I have Private Health Insurance. How much will my prescriptions cost?

We accept a number of outside insurance cards. Costs vary according to your plan coverage. Contact your insurance company to see if we are a provider pharmacy on your plan. You must have an insurance prescription card in order for the UHS pharmacy to process your prescription. Please make sure you have it with you. Also, we can fill your prescription if you do not have insurance. Full payment for medication is expected at time of pick-up.

Note: Even if the UHS pharmacy is not a provider pharmacy on your plan, it may be more convenient to have it filled with the UHS pharmacy providing it is an inexpensive medication.

Other Frequently Asked Questions:

  • What if my medication is not on the formulary or what if the UHS Pharmacy is closed? If you have UC Student Health Insurance, the UHS pharmacy can order it to be purchased by the entire stock bottle/unit. The student must pay the full price of the medication and submit claim form for reimbursement from the insurance company. Please note that the UHS pharmacy cannot order certain medication, including most schedule II medications. You can fill your prescription at any retail pharmacy. You will pay the full price of the medication and mail your claim form to the insurance company. Once you have reached your $500.00 deductible for the insurance year (for ANY medical reason, not just prescriptions), the insurance will reimburse you 60% of the out-of-pocket cost for the prescriptions. There are multiple pharmacies within walking distance of UC's campus.
  • I've heard that birth control pills are free, is that true? In accordance to The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, forms of GENERIC birth control (tablets, injections) are covered at a zero out of pocket cost through Student Health Insurance. Brand name formulations (tablets) will STILL BE SUBJECT TO THE $30 COPAY for a month supply and a $60 copay for a month supply of a brand name medication that has a generic equivalent that is commercially available.
  • Can I get my diabetic supplies from the UHS pharmacy? Yes, the UHS Student Health Insurance plan covers diabetic testing supplies/insulin, but supplies are limited, so they may need to be ordered. You can pay your co-pay on diabetic testing strips/lancets/syringes and will need a valid prescription to insure coverage.
  • I have left over medication that I no longer need; can I return it for credit? No. We cannot take back a medication that has left the pharmacy due to state law and health regulations.
  • What types of payment do you accept? Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Bearcat card are accepted.
  • Can I purchase Over-the-Counter (OTC) medications from the UHS pharmacy? Yes, basic analgesics/fever reducers, cough/cold preparations, allergy medications, iron supplements, and topical creams.
  • Is the UHS pharmacy open during summer and winter break? We are open during summer break for normal operating hours. We are open during winter break but are closed or have reduced operating hours during most UC holidays. It is always best to check the UHS website for the most up to date information.
  • I'm unclear about something regarding my medication. Is it a bother to call and ask the pharmacist about it? No. If you are unsure about anything involving your medication please feel free to call and talk to a pharmacist. That's the reason we are here. Please call us at 513-585-5683.
Intranet Login

Contact Us

University Health Services

Richard E. Lindner Center
2751 O'Varsity Way, 3rd Floor
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0010

Mail Location: 0010
Phone: 513-556-2564
Fax: 513-556-1337