Students work under the guidance and mentorship of faculty at the University of Cincinnati—a Research 1 University—and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC) to discover an interest in research, gain research skills and expertise, build a résumé, and develop critical-thinking skills.
There are ample opportunities to conduct research with UC college of medicine or CCHMC faculty in a broad range of fields. Medical Sciences students interested in participating in research are invited to contact Dr Bryan Mackenzie (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Research Experiences or Michele Glassmeyer (Email: email@example.com), Educational Advisor, Tel (513) 558-7333.
College of Medicine Research Courses
Research-based courses within the Medical Sciences curriculum include:
- MEDS 3030 | Biomedical Research Rotation (elective)
- MEDS 4042 | Practice and Community Based Health Research (elective)
- MEDS 5030 / MEDS 5031 | Biomedical Research Capstone 1 and 2 (Medical Sciences students may select this fall–spring two-semester sequence in their fourth year)
- Look for opportunities in the UC medical sciences program's Research Bulletin, published monthly during fall and spring semester (MSBP students receive the bulletin via email)
- Visit the Medical Sciences Research Nexus in Canvas (login required).
- Students in the Honors Program may participate in the Research and Mentorship Program (RaMP), typically in year 1 or 2
- Contact Dr Bryan Mackenzie (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Research Experiences or Michele Glassmeyer (Email: email@example.com), Educational Advisor, Tel (513) 558-7333
Summer Research Programs at UC
- SURF | Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (students may choose from up to six programs at UC collge of medicine and CCHMC)
- WISE REWU | Women in Science & Engineering | Research Experience for Women Undergraduates
- BRIMS | Biomedical Research Internship for Minority Students (graduating high school seniors and college freshmen)
Summer Research Programs at Other US Institutions
Medical sciences students are expected to be competitive applicants for summer research fellowship programs at institutions nationwide. If you would like to broaden your horizons for the summer, you can explore a list of summer undergraduate research programs at the AAMC website.