Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
The study of epidemiology involves learning about the distribution and determinants of disease, disability and injury within human populations. The UC MPH Epidemiology concentration provides training in the design of human population studies, clinical studies, population disease surveillance, human subject ethics, risk assessment, risk communication, basic biostatistics and data analysis. This program prepares students for positions such as project manager, research study coordinator, or technical specialist in health-related organizations that focus on population health assessment, research programs focusing on population factors related to health outcomes, or clinical trials, in local, state or federal government, academic institutions or private enterprises.
All UC MPH concentrations are science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) designated. The classification of instructional program (CIP) code used for the UC MPH Program is 51.2202.
MPH-Epidemiology Concentration Competencies
Upon completion of the MPH degree in the Epidemiology Concentration, students will be able to:
- Utilize epidemiologic data and methods for outbreak investigation, infectious disease and chronic disease surveillance, determination of risk factors, disease prevention trials and evaluation of screening tests.
- Define, calculate, and interpret measures of disease frequency and measures of association between risk factors and diseases.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate the scientific, ethical, and public health implications of epidemiology to lay and professional audiences.
- Effectively use epidemiologic terminology and conduct basic epidemiologic analyses using multiple linear, logistic, Cox and Poisson regression.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand epidemiologic inference in the context of causal networks and the ability to consider bias, confounding, effect modification.
- Critically review the scientific literature, integrate the findings across studies, and make appropriate public health recommendations.
- Design and conduct epidemiological studies to address public health priorities and advance current knowledge.
- Recognize potential ethical and legal issues in epidemiologic studies.
- Discuss concepts and applications of multi-faceted methods related to the field of epidemiology.
Explore MPH-Epidemiology Careers
MPH-Epidemiology Concentration Faculty
Department of Environmental & Public Health Sciences
Division of Public Health Sciences
Kettering Lab Building
160 Panzeca Way
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0056
Mail Location: 0056