Welcome to the Department of Surgery at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. From its origin in 1788 as a surgical hospital at Fort Washington, through the establishment of the modern department of surgery in 1922 based on what is now the standard method of surgical education, the UC Department of Surgery has been committed to pursuing advances and innovations in surgical research, education, and clinical care. We are achieving these goals through partnerships with community physicians and institutions, business leaders, our fellow citizens, and the government.
UC Health - Surgery offers a broad range of surgical services, many of them unique in the region:
- Advanced, leading-edge technology is available for patients in need of specialized care in vascular, thoracic, cardiac, bariatric (obesity), liver, gastrointestinal, endocrine, colorectal, and urologic services.
- Endovascular techniques and minimally invasive surgery, including robotic-assisted laparoscopic techniques for liver, vascular and urologic surgery decrease length of stay and allow faster recovery and return to work.
- UC programs in organ transplantation for liver, kidney, and pancreas are among the national leaders.
- Our cardiothoracic surgeons have pioneered new minimally invasive techniques for curative treatment of atrial fibrillation and offer the latest treatments for lung cancer and mediastinal tumors.
- Our surgeons lead the fight against cancer and provide hope for patients with tumors of the liver and pancreas, stomach and intestine, skin cancer and melanoma, urologic tumors, and for those at high risk for breast cancer.
- The Pancreatic Disease Center attracts patients from all over the country seeking unique services such as islet-cell preservation to prevent surgical diabetes in chronic pancreatitis.
- We have expanded programs in cosmetic surgery, including the state-of-the-art Cosmetic Surgery at University Pointe.
- Provide comprehensive surgical services for Cincinnati and the surrounding region.
- Train the next generation of surgical leaders.
- Advance the state-of-the-art and scientific basis of the discipline of surgery.
- Provide leadership in ensuring surgical health care for all members of the Cincinnati community.
We welcome your interest in our department and hope that you will find the innovations in patient care, education and research as exciting as we do.
Jeffrey J. Sussman, M.D.
Christian R. Holmes Professor of Surgery and Interim Chairman
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati