About the Department
"To improve quality of life by identifying the mechanisms of disease and injury due to environmental exposures and genetic factors, and by developing and implementing effective methods of prevention and intervention through Research, Education, and Service. Our nation’s need for sound scientific research and public health application of that research has never been more apparent. Our goal is to lead the way by nurturing science and scientists and training practitioners to meet this challenge."
This mission is accomplished through:
RESEARCH: To obtain new scientific knowledge on the process by which environmental agents produce adverse human health effects.
EDUCATION: To prepare tomorrow’s professionals for leadership roles in research, education, service and patient care.
SERVICE: To diminish adverse health effects through interaction with governmental agencies and community groups
Environmental and Public Health Sciences Rankings
- Ranked in top 5% within the University of Cincinnati in annual grants and contracts.
- 18th in the nation, NIH funding in Public Health/Preventive Medicine (Source: Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research, 2019)
- Nationally recognized among NIH funded environmental research programs
Environmental and Public Health Sciences Ongoing Projects
- NIOSH sponsored Education and Research Center – 38th year
- NIEHS Hazardous Waste Worker Training Grant – 28th year
- NIEHS Center for Environmental Genetics – 23rd year
- NIEHS Center of Excellence – 23rd year
- HUD National Evaluation of Lead Abatement Strategies – 19th year
- Genetic Epidemiology of Lung Cancer Consortium – 16th year
- NIH sponsored Molecular Epidemiology in Children’s Environmental Health Training Program – 14th year
Environmental and Public Health Sciences Stats
- 91,000 sq ft of laboratory and office space
- 61 grants and contracts totaling over $21,000,000 annually
- 36 faculty, 52 affiliated faculty, 74 staff, 47 research staff, 66 doctoral students, 164 masters students, 4 visiting scholars, 20 postdoctoral fellows, and over 900 alumni
- Faculty Published over 175 papers in Fiscal Year 2014
Department of Environmental & Public Health Sciences
Kettering Lab Building
160 Panzeca Way
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0056
Mail Location: 0056