Welcome to the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center.
We are committed to:
- providing the highest level of training to residents, fellows and medical students
- offering the highest quality clinical care to our patients
- serving as resource to the medical community
- expanding scientific frontiers of the specialty through clinical and basic research
Otolaryngology, as a specialty, at the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center is heralded as one of the premier ear, nose, and throat programs in the country.
Recognized by USNews and World Report, America's Top Doctors and Best Doctors in America, our clinician faculty and research investigators are recognized leaders in the field.
Highlights of our program include:
- Broad specialty focus disorders of the head and neck, skull base, ear, pediatric otolaryngology, trauma, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, taste and smell disorders, nasal allergy, and sinus disease, and voice diagnostics and rehabilitation.
- Internationally renowned pediatric otolaryngology program responsible for the development and advancement of childhood airway reconstruction.
- Widely recognized for advanced techniques in contemporary surgery, including anterior and lateral skull base, temporal bone; as well as, frameless stereotactic CT image guided surgical procedures.
- Nationally acknowledged researchers in the fields of head and neck cancer, hearing loss, cochlear implants, voice and pediatric airway disorders.
Whether you are considering a career in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery, looking for an ear, nose and throat physician, researching disorders of the ear, nose and throat, keeping abreast of new and innovative treatment options, or you are one of our alumni, we thank you for visiting our website.
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please feel free to contact me or any member of the faculty.
Myles L. Pensak, MD, FACS
H.B. Broidy Professor and Chair
CEO, University of Cincinnati Physicians
Dr. Pensak has been a driving force behind the growth and success of the College of Medicine as well as its affiliated programs. He serves as the CEO of UC Physicians, and a senior associate dean for Clinical Affairs at the University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine. He is the H.B. Broidy Professor and Chair for the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Professor of Neurosurgery.
Before ascending to his current roles, Dr. Pensak was the medical director for the University of Cincinnati Medical Center (UCMC) operating rooms for 22 years, the associate chief of staff at UCMC for 16 years, and a professor of Neurosurgery at the College of Medicine. In addition, he was the director for the Division of Otology/Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery at UC for a decade and the director of the Residency Training Program in Otolaryngology for more than five years.
A History of Leadership:
- Medical Director of the University of Cincinnati Medical Center (UCMC) for 22 years
- Associate Chief of Staff at UCMC for 16 years
- Director, Division of Otology/Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery at UC for 12 years
- Director, Residency Training Program, Department of Otololaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, more than 5 years
- Founding member, Neuroscience Institute, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
This breadth of experience across a variety of settings is complemented by the education Dr. Pensak received early in his career. As a resident and instructor of Otolaryngology at the Yale University School of Medicine, he trained under physicians who are widely considered to be ‘giants’ within the specialty. Their commitment to sharing knowledge and expertise with Dr. Pensak led to his passion for educating and mentoring the next generation of physicians.