About the Program
The University of Cincinnati Medical Center Nephrology Fellowship Program provides fellows with a broad-based experience in all aspects of clinical nephrology including kidney diseases, hypertension, fluid-electrolyte and acid-base disorders, organ transplantation and interventional nephrology.
NEW to the program is an opportunity to pursue a one year Critical Care Track after completing Nephrology Fellowship training.
We are proud to offer a 2-year ACGME accredited Nephrology Fellowship that focuses on exceptional training, educational value, and experience while maintaining work-life balance, for instance:
- All inpatient services function as healthcare teams with both the Nephrologists and Nurse-practitioners enhancing educational value and also reducing service needs and workload for our fellows
- Nightly call is by beeper at home after 6 PM on all nights including weekends – therefore Fellows do not come in after 6 PM – allowing for optimal rest and an enhanced learning experience
- Extraordinary cases to learn from given the diverse setting that this large University program is set in, including a level 1 trauma center and close affiliation with the Veteran’s Administration
- Customizable scholarly activities to meet the career needs and broad interests of our fellows (e.g., Research conferences, Hemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis training, Business of Nephrology, opportunity to participate in the IMSTAR (IM Scholarly Training for Academic Research] program.
- A multitude of clinical and basic science research opportunities
- Innovative pathways in Transplantation
Unique and individualized training electives include:
- Drake Long-Term Acute Care (LTAC) community experience
- Vascular Access/Interventional Nephrology
- Outpatient Hemodialysis (HD)/Peritoneal Dialysis (PD)/Home modalities exposure – including attending Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI)/Dialysis Unit Medical Director meetings
- Ambulatory clinic experience
- Transplant inpatient and outpatient clinics
- Urology elective
- Inpatient Plasmapheresis elective
Our program also has a 100% track record in job placements of fellows’ choice after fellowship as well as a 100% Nephrology Fellowship Board pass rate for over the past 5 years.
Lodging for Fellowship applicants will be reserved and paid for by the Nephrology Division to help defray interview costs.