The Wellness Project
A Wellness Project has been started in the vascular surgery division following the AMA Steps Forward guidelines for “Physician Wellness: Preventing Resident and Fellow Burnout.” Our plan includes:
- A Wellness team consisting of the Program Director and two residents – PGY-5 and PGY-3 or PGY-2.
- We as a group defined Wellness.
- We evaluated the current status of wellness / burnout within our own programs through surveys and wellness indexes given to our residents. The results reviewed, and plans made for a campaign to address the results.
- The wellness team meets regularly to discuss progress, and to plan future events.
- The surveys administered regularly to analyze the data and monitor the progress.
- The team designs and plans interventions for individual trainees and the program as a whole as necessary.
- The team investigates sources and ongoing education about wellness and how to best achieve it.
- The team re-evaluates and re-designs the program on an ongoing basis for optimization.
- The program, faculty, and team encourage individual wellness with special emphasis on the following six key aspects of personal well being:
- Emotional health
- Preventative care
- Financial health
- Mindset and behavior adaptability
- The team is responsible for planning faculty and resident retreats. Events such as dinners, happy hours, bowling and crawfish boils at attending’s house, and a group outing to ‘BLINK’ Festival have been taken place.
- The team works to create a sustainable culture of wellness and resiliency.
- A Wellness Folder is created for each resident with resources from UCMC GME resident and fellow well-being resource list.
The residents and fellows receive standard benefits from UCMC GME office according to their training level. These can be accessed here.
In addition, all residents will receive general and vascular surgery books, surgical loupes, and personal lead when they start the program. One additional book per year is provided to all residents.
Living in Cincinnati
Cincinnati offers a fantastic city life with a sub-urban feel at an affordable price. It’s a great city with lots of fantastic restaurants and native breweries. There is ample entertainment for lovers of music, art, sports or nature. One can choose among an amazing music hall, finest theaters, soccer, football or baseball games, adventure park, bike trails and multiple hiking trails throughout the city. The city offers fantastic schools and extra-curricular activities. It is truly “The Queen City of the West”!