How to Apply
Application and Selection Process
Interested and qualified students will apply to the ASPET SURF Program through an Online ASPET Application which will include a brief statement of potential research interests and career goals.
While previous research experience is not a requirement, the placement process will be improved if a description of any previous experience is included. An unofficial transcript and letters of recommendation from two faculty members familiar with the applicant’s academic performance and/or potential for a career in biomedical research are requisite components of the application. The application deadline will be February 1, with admission notifications sent by March 15.
Students who have completed 2 years of academic study in accredited college or university and have declared a major subject of study that logically would prepare them as a viable graduate degree program applicant will be given priority consideration. Student cumulative GPA, scope of courses, letters of recommendation (2 from faculty) and statement of how this SURF Program will assist the student in achieving their goals of completing an advanced graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) leading to a career in pharmacology, toxicology, or pharmaceutical sciences will be given strong emphasis in applicant selection. The selection committee will review and rank ASPET applicants for appointment offers.
- Applications: must be submitted/edited electronically by February 1 at 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. Thre are several SURF program at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. You may apply to more than one program, but you must indicate your top choice in your application.
- Resume: include a current copy of your resume.
- Grade Reports: Upload a copy of your current academic transcript.
- Letters of recommendation: A minimum of one letter of recommendation is required to complete your application.
- Essay questions: Briefly describe your career goals and motivation for obtaining research experience. Include area(s) of research interest or the names of faculty mentor(s) whose research most closely aligns with your interests.
- The Summer 2020 application will go live on November 1st.
- If you are still awaiting a Letter(s) of Recommendation, we will attach them to your application as long as they are postmarked by February 8th. If they are received within the proper timeline, you will receive an email notification of their attachment. Please Note: We will update your application status after February 1st if once the letter(s) is received, completes your application requirements.
- The programs will notify you of their review process in the coming weeks.