Fellow Roles and Responsibilities
Fellowship training activities generally consist of the following:
- Attendance and participation in morning rounds. The fellow is expected to provide input regarding patient care, and to assist in resident teaching.
- Continued care of the patient following rounds, under the supervision of the attending, incorporating patient care with education of the residents.
- Participation in fellow-faculty conferences: journal club and multidisciplinary critical care presentation in a grand rounds format. These are respectively conducted the second and fourth Mondays of each month. Other lectures and conferences may be added during the academic year.
- Attendance at multidisciplinary critical care core lecture series (schedule provided). If a conflict with patient care arises, the attending will provide clinical care coverage so that the fellow can attend the lecture.
- Preparation and lectures as scheduled and may include SICU resident lecture, Thursday trauma conference, or Critical Care Grand Rounds.
- Participation in administrative meetings, i.e., SICU Protocol Committee, SICU Morbidity and Mortality Conference. This will provide exposure to quality assurance activities, as well as other activities related to SICU administration.
- Attendance at Trauma Division meetings to discuss ongoing issues, resident evaluations, and related administrative/ professional matters as needed.
- Interaction with the clinical trials group during regularly scheduled research meetings, and informally, as patients are screened and entered into clinical trials. Participation in at least one research project is encouraged, with the goal of publication, and/or presentation at a national meeting.
- Participation at monthly billing meetings to become familiar with documentation and coding regulations.
Daily, supervised training is supplemented with independent reading. The fellow is expected to supplement didactic learning experiences with independent learning, including, but not limited to materials provided in the independent reading lists.
- SICU Multidisciplinary Core Lecture Series
- Fellows Conference – Multidisciplinary Case Presentations (monthly)
- Resident Trauma Conference (weekly)
- Critical Care Journal Club (monthly)
- SICU Morbidity & Mortality Conference (monthly)