How to Apply
Guidelines for Applicants:
All applicants of exceptional ability and promise will be considered. Application is made through ERAS for all programs at UC. We do not accept paper applications. Recruitment follows the guidelines of the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for all applicants. We have six PGY1 positions for the categorical program.
The following is an outline of the criteria necessary for obtaining a residency position in our program:
You must submit a completed application which includes:
- ERAS application form
- Personal statement
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE/COMLEX scores
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one must be from a psychiatrist)
After review of your completed application acceptable candidates will receive an invitation to interview as early as October 21st. Interview invitations will be sent until all interview spots are filled. The interview invitation will contain the information you need to contact the program and set up an interview date. The deadline for receipt of applications for the next academic year is December 1st prior to the NRMP match. Minimum requirements for application are:
- Six months minimum experience in US clinical patient care
- USMLE/COMLEX exams – a passing score is required for either USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 for application however, applicants who do not submit a passing score for USMLE Step 2 CK and 2 CS or COMLEX Level 2 CE and Level 2 PE prior to the rank list submission deadline will NOT be ranked by this program. Also any applicant who graduated medical school one year or more prior to the match year must submit a passing USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 score to be considered for interview. Priority is given to individuals who pass on first attempt.
- International Medical Graduates may apply via the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) however we are NOT sponsoring visas of any type.
- Applicants must meet all University of Cincinnati Medical Center/UC Health credentialing requirements, including but not limited to eligibility for a training certificate or permanent license through the Ohio State Medical Board.
- Preference is given to medical school graduates within 2 years of the residency start date.
Interviews will be held virtually on Mondays and Fridays between the last week of October and December 23rd, excluding holidays. Interviewees are invited to an evening social event online with a group of residents the night before their scheduled interview day. The typical interview day schedule is as follows:
- 7:45a - Program Overview
- 8:30a - Department Overview
- 9:00a - 30 min individual interviews with faculty or chief resident with one 30 min break
- 12:00p - video tour available for viewing online
After the interview day interviewers evaluate each interviewee and those evaluations are added to the applicant's ERAS file. Final decisions regarding the ranking of a candidate in the NRMP system are made by a selection committee and are based on a holistic review of the entire ERAS file and the interview.
Where to Apply
Application to the Categorical Psychiatry Program is through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).