How to Apply
General Application Information
If you are interested in the program and wish to apply for a summer fellowship, you should:
- Search the list of faculty members who are willing to serve as mentors and identify those whose research interests you. Because this is a grant funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease (NIDDK) preference will be given to mentors funded by these disciplines. You may also contact faculty whose names do not appear on the list, but the mentor must be pre-approved prior to applying to the program. Please have the new mentor forward a NIH biosketch (including all grant support) and a table of past trainees to the program director for approval. Approval must be obtained no later than Friday, January 14, 2022. Completed applications must be submitted through the CommonApp (https://redcap.research.cchmc.org/surveys/?s=WK8T7KWPPP). UC / non-UC students use the same application site.
- Understand that the program will only fund one student per mentor, per year. No exceptions.
- Meet with the faculty members of interest and discuss possible projects that could be completed within the 9-10 week program. It is not the intent of the program to support clinical service or chart review studies. Choose your final mentor and project.
- With the assistance of your faculty mentor, develop a hypothesis-driven research proposal and complete the application form. Please note there is information required from both student and the mentor but the proposal should be written
by the student. The examples of past successful applications may be helpful for understanding the intended format and desired content.
- Complete applications are due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, February 13, 2022.
Notification of application status will be sent on Friday, March 18, 2022.
In order to allow sufficient time for discussion of projects and preparation of a carefully considered application, you are strongly encouraged to contact faculty members as early in the year as possible (December or January).
If you have any difficulties selecting or contacting a mentor or if you have any questions, contact Dr. Jason Blackard, PhD at email@example.com or Sandra Geideman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-636-9776.
Medical Student Summer Research Program
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
240 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati, OH 45229
Mail Location: 11028