Are you interested in a career as a PhD-level biomedical scientist but don't know how to get there? If so, PREP@UC may be the program for you.
The Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (PREP@UC) is a one-year paid internship designed to help diverse college graduates enter a doctoral program and achieve a career as a PhD-Level biomedical scientist. The program is open to recent graduates with a Bachelor's degree who are from disadvantaged backgrounds, underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, or who have a disability.
PREP@UC is funded by a grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS). Our program is designed to fill a gap in PREP program coverage in Appalachia and a need expressed to us from students and faculty in our region (southern Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia). However, we welcome qualified students from across the United States.
- Position as a Visiting Scholar with a salary of $29,000/year + health insurance
- Learn laboratory skills and perform cutting edge biomedical research in a laboratory at the University of Cincinnati (75% of your time)
- Develop your professional skills through participation in journal clubs, classes, workshops and research seminars (25% of your time)
- Travel to a national conference to present your work
- Learn about the many career choices open to PhD level scientists
- Work with faculty to develop a career plan and prepare graduate school applications
- Develop a network of mentors to guide you through career transitions and provide you with reference letters
Application Deadlines and Program Dates:
- Applications for PREP@UC open on December 15. Completed applications will be considered on a first come, first served, basis. No applications will be considered after March 12
- The program start date is June 1
- The program end date is May 31