Computational Neuromodulation Lab
The computational neuromodulation lab led by Dr. Ishita Basu uses modeling and signal processing techniques to study brain signals recorded invasively as well as non-invasively from human subjects to study the neural basis of cognitive functions and design innovative neuromodulation techniques to improve such functionality in individuals with mental illness. Specifically, we use time frequency decomposition of brain signals and biophysical modeling techniques to characterize how cognitive stimuli or electrical stimulation impact the brain and behavior to advance the knowledge of decision making and design therapeutic neuromodulation strategies to improve such faculties in mood and anxiety disorders.
- Basu I, Yousefi A, Crocker B, Zelmann R, Paulk A C, Peled N, Ellard K K, Weisholtz D S, Cosgrove G R, Deckersbach T, Eden U T, Eskandar E N, Dougherty D D, Cash S S, Widge A S: Closed loop enhancement and neural decoding of human cognitive control. Nature Biomedical Engineering (2021)
- Olsen S T, Basu I, Bilge M T, Kanabar A, Boggess M, Rockhill A P, Gosai A K, Hahn E, Peled N, Ennis M, Shiff I, Fairbank-Haynes K, Salvi J D, Cusin C, Deckersbach T, Williams Z, Baker J, Dougherty D D, Widge A S: Case report of dual-site neurostimulation and chronic recording of cortico-striatal circuitry in a patient with treatment refractory obsessive compulsive disorder. Accepted for publication in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, section Brain Imaging and Stimulation
- Zelmann R, Paulk A C, Basu I, Sarma A, Yousefi A, Crocker B, Eskandar E, Williams Z, Cosgrove G R, Weisholtz D S, Dougherty D D, Truccolo W, Widge A S, Cash S S: CLoSES: A platform for closed loop intracranial stimulation in humans. NeuroImage, 2020; 223, 117314.
- Basu I, Robertson M M, Crocker B, Peled N, Farnes K, Vallejo D I, Deng H, Thombs M. Martinez-Rubio C, Cheng J J, McDonald E, Dougherty D D, Eskandar E N, Widge A S, Paulk A C, Cash SS: Consistent Linear and Non-Linear Responses to Electrical Brain Stimulation Across Individuals and Primate Species. Brain Stimulation, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brs.2019.03.007
- Yousefi A*, Basu I*, Paulk A C, Peled N, Eskandar E N, Dougherty D, Cash SS, Widge A S, Eden U T: Decoding hidden cognitive states from behavior and physiology using a Bayesian approach. Neural Computation, 2019; 31 (9), 1751-1788. * Co first author.
- Widge A S, Zorowitz S, Basu I, Paulk A C, Cash S S, Eskandar E N, Deckersbach T, Miller E K, Dougherty D D: Deep Brain Stimulation of the Internal Capsule Enhances Human Cognitive Control and Prefrontal Cortex Function. Nature Communications, 2019;
- Yousefi A, Paulk A C, Basu I, Dougherty D, Eskandar E N, Eden U T, Widge A S; COMPASS: An Open-Source, General-Purpose Software Toolkit for Computational Psychiatry. Frontiers in Neuroscience, section Neural Technology, 2019; 12:957
- Basu I#, Crocker B, Farnes K, Robertson M M, Paulk A C, Vallejo D I, Dougherty D D, Cash S S, Eskandar E N, Kramer M, Widge A S: A neural mass model to predict electrical stimulation evoked responses in human and non-human primate brain. J Neural Eng, 2018 Sept; 15(6). # Corresponding Author
- Graupe D, Khobragade N, Tuninetti D, Basu I, Konstantin S, Verhagen L: Who may benefit from on-demand control of DBS- noninvasive evaluation of Parkinson patients. Neuromodulation Technology at the neural interface, 2018.
- Widge A S, Ellard K K, Paulk A C, Basu I, Yousefi A, Zorowitz S, Gilmour A, Afzal A, Deckersbach T, Cash S S, Kramer M A, Eden U T, Dougherty D D, Eskandar E N: Treating Refractory Mental Illness with Closed-Loop Brain Stimulation: Progress towards a Patient-Specific Transdiagnostic Approach. Experimental Neurology, 2017; 287: 461-472.
NIH/NIMH 1 R21 MH127009-01A1
A neural population model-based characterization and modulation of neural oscillations underlying cognitive control in healthy and depressed/anxious human subjects
The overall objective of this project is to characterize and model cortical oscillations underlying the conflict resolution aspect of cognitive control in healthy and anxious/depressed human subjects to inform the design of neuromodulation interventions
KL2 Research Scholars career development program
Developing an EEG probe for studying cognitive control in post stroke depression
This career development project aims at studying neural correlates of cognitive control in healthy and post stroke depressive (PSD) states and assess neuromodulatory effects of transcranial and transcutaneous spinal cord stimulation on cognitive control
and associated neural oscillations in PSD.
Dr Awosika Oluwole, Neurology
231 Albert Sabin Way
PO Box 670769
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0515
University of Cincinnati
College of Medicine
Department of Neurosurgery
PO Box 670515
Cincinnati Ohio 45267-0515