Requirements for Application to the MD Program
NOTE: The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine DOES NOT require any specific action related to the AAMC Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) Tool. Instead, we ask that you comply with the AAMC Traffic Rules. That means that you should proactively withdraw from all Acceptances except one by 5/1/19 (by emailing the schools themselves to withdraw) and maintain only one offer at a time thereafter.
To qualify for admission to the UC College of Medicine, students must:
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident (with a permanent residency visa).
- A copy of a permanent residency visa is required as a component of the Secondary Application.
- Have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours at a U.S. accredited four-year degree-granting institution of higher education. Students who have received a degree from, or are enrolled full-time in, an undergraduate college outside of the United States must:
- Have a graduate degree from a U.S. college or university OR
- Complete at least 20 hours of science coursework at a U.S. college or university.
- Your compliance with this requirement will be evident to us through your GPA (i.e., GPA is associated with an institution and a number of credit hours completed).
- Complete all degree requirements from any professional or degree-granting graduate program in which they are currently enrolled.
A bachelor degree is encouraged but not required.
All majors are valued. Students are expected to engage in a rigorous academic program grounded in the basic principles of the sciences fundamental to medicine and the psycho/social nature of humans. Applicants are expected to have the knowledge usually obtained in one-year courses in biology, general and organic chemistry, physics and mathematics.
Highly competitive applicants have completed coursework in the social, cultural and behavioral sciences. Knowledge of the basic principles of statistics and computer literacy are strongly recommended. All applicants should have acquired effective learning, communication and problem-solving skills.
Enrollment Requirements for the MD Program
Once accepted to the UC College of Medicine, students must complete a broad range of enrollment requirements including but not limited to:
Immediately After Acceptance (within weeks of acceptance between October and July)
- Certiphi Background Check (send directly by Certiphi in association with AMCAS)
Before Arriving for Orientation (April through July)
- Activation of UC student email account
- A second criminal background check
- A comprehensive drug screen
- Immunization requirements
- Transcript submission (for all institutions attended)
- University of Cincinnati Student Information System activities
- Pre-orientation reading and assignments
In April, admitted students will receive an email instructing them to proceed to a "portal" containing all of their enrollment requirements. The enrollment requirements “portal” is provided to accepted students via email. Admitted students must create an account (a non-refundable cost is associated with this portal and is assessed at registration). This portal will track all enrollment requirements, their associated deadlines, and progress towards completion. For questions about enrollment requirements/progress, admitted students should utilize the portal, which offers status updates in real-time and online help chat as well as assistance by phone or email.