My Student Has Private Health Insurance
Check with your health insurance plan to verify coverage. Students who are currently enrolled in a health insurance plan that is equal to (meets the requirements at the beginning of the online waiver at the Onestop website) or better than the UC Student Health Insurance Plan may waive UC Student Health Insurance by submitting an on-line waiver by the deadline.
Check with your insurance about:
- Medical coverage for a member living out of town.
- Ask for a list of providers in the area.
- Do you have an out-of-network benefit on your plan?
- Some insurances will cover the patient for acute illness or injury if you are greater than 50 miles from home.
- Be sure to check with your health insurance plan in regards to out-of-pocket expenses such as co-pays.
University Health Services accepts most insurance. Check with your insurance company to verify coverage. Since UHS serves only students and employees of the University of Cincinnati you will not find UHS listed on any “how to find a provider” insurance web site. We will be listed as University of Cincinnati Physicians Company. If your insurance plan pays to University of Cincinnati Physicians Company and you are the subscriber for your students plan, then your student can be seen using your insurance coverage at UHS.
The welcome new patient information on our Make an Appointment page will offer details about patient registration and questions related to information that will be asked about your health insurance plan.
My Student Has Student Health Insurance
- Your student’s primary care providers are located at the UHS main campus or UHS medical campus. There is no co-pay for primary care at either location.
- Primary care includes diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illnesses, health promotion, disease prevention, health maintenance, counseling, and patient education.
- Primary Care Services at other locations mentioned on the In-Network list are not covered at the same rate as the UHS main campus or UHS medical campus.
Referrals…This is Important to Know and Remember!
- Medical conditions that require treatment by a specialist (orthopedist, cardiologist, gynecologist, etc) require a referral from a University Health Services provider.
- Referrals written after the Fall semester begins, remain in effect until the beginning of the next academic year.
- Those requiring ongoing specialty care need to have a University Health Services provider renew their referral yearly.
- If your student is seen in an emergency room and the treating physician refers your student to a specialist, your student must contact University Health Services to have a referral written as soon as possible or at least prior to their follow-up visit to any specialist.
For more information about UC Student Health Insurance please see the UC Student Health Insurance web site.