Trainee’s responsibilities will be evaluated at every weekly meeting with the sponsor; Trainees are expected to:
- Develop hypothesis-driven research questions that are related to cardiovascular disease or stroke.
- Design a research project, under mentorship of the sponsor, to test the hypothesis.
- Literature review using PubMed, Scopus, Medline and Google Scholar to interpret and apply towards the problems and hypothesis.
- Determine the ongoing projects on the same area and available funding support at NIHReporter.
- Work on methodologies, reagents and facilities that are directly linked to the hypothesis.
- Generate data by working in the sponsor’s lab.
- Interpret their produced data and communicate the results to the sponsor and the rest of the group members.
- Become familiar the scientific research process.
- Comply with ethical standards in research and scholarship.
- Engage in open and timely discussions with sponsor and lab mates regarding possession or distribution of tangible property such as lab ware, cell lines, reagents, etc.
- Show respectful conduct towards coworkers and members of the academic or research group.
- Complete a laboratory research project during the program’s duration.
- At the conclusion of the summer fellowship, present their data to an internal peer review group and at the summer trainee research forum.