Research and Training Resources
Additional resources related to medical student research and scholarly activities are provided below.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) endorses 15 core competencies for entering medical students that include critical thinking, quantitative reasoning, scientific inquiry, and written communication.
The Scientific Affairs cluster of AAMC is the research policy arm, representing and advocating for the full spectrum of medical research, including implementation and dissemination research, health care delivery research, community and population research, basic discovery research, comparative clinical effectiveness research, and patient outcomes research. It offers national professional development groups and forums for researchers and research leaders of all ranks and positions in the spectrum of research.
To understand more about what residency programs value in their applicants, view the following reports from the National Residency Match Program (NRMP):
- 2018 NRMP Program Director Survey
- Charting Outcomes of the MATCH 2018 (Refer to charts 5 & 6 for each residency discipline to see the number of scholarly products per applicant and MATCH success. The individual residency discipline outcome data starts on page 18 of the report.)
- NRMP Main Residency MATCH Data
Additional scholarly reports related to medical student research experiences, competencies, and outcomes are provided below:
- Patterns and trends of medical student research. BMC Medical Education, 2013
- Medical student research: an integrated mixed-methods systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One, 2014
- Biomedical research competencies for osteopathic medical students. Osteopathic Medicine and Primary Care, 2009
- Medical student research exposure via a series of modular research programs. Journal of Investigative Medicine, 2009
- Twelve tips for introducing students to research and publishing: a medical student's perspective. Medical Teacher, 2012
- Twelve tips for teachers to encourage student engagement in academic medicine. Medical Teacher, 2013
- Residency selection: do the perceptions of US programme directors and applicants match? Medical Education, 2012
- Selection criteria for residency: results of a national program directors survey. Academic Medicine, 2009
- Scholarly research projects benefit medical students' research productivity and residency choice: outcomes from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Academic Medicine, 2018.
Amy Thompson MD
Director of Medical Student Research Initiatives
Medical Sciences Building 4556C
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0526
CARE/Crawley Building E870
3290 Eden Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0555