Today is Thursday, Mar. 30, 2017

Department of

University Health Services

Student Vaccination & Health Screening Requirement
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Effective Fall Semester 2017 for UC Clifton 
Effective Fall Semester 2018 for All Campuses (UC Clifton, Blue Ash and Clermont)

  1. Does the University of Cincinnati (UC) have an immunization requirement?

    a. Yes, the University of Cincinnati has an immunization and health screening requirement for all incoming degree-seeking students and new international students. 

    b. This will be effective Fall Semester 2017 for the UC Clifton campus and Fall Semester 2018 for UC Blue Ash and UC Clermont campuses. 

    c. Immunizations and a health screening are already a requirement for health professions students.

  2. Why do you have an immunization requirement?

    a. Medical and public health evidence shows that higher levels of vaccination in a population lead to greater protection and less severe symptoms during an outbreak.  This is particularly important on a university campus where students are living, working and studying together in close proximity.

  3. Why do you have a health screening for tuberculosis (TB)?  

    a. Many different factors can put someone at higher risk for tuberculosis infection.  The American College Health Association recommends universal screening of college students (including those without symptoms).  By screening for those risk factors, early treatment can begin for an infected individual and potential spread of an infection to others can be limited.  

    b. On our campus, TB screening will be done through a few questions.  If you answer “YES” to any of those questions, then you will be required to undergo TB testing through a simple blood test or skin test.

  4. When does this requirement start?

    a. The immunization and health screening requirement for incoming degree-seeking students and new international students on UC’s Clifton Campus starts Fall Semester 2017 (Fall Semester 2018 for UC Blue Ash and UC Clermont).  

    b. Returning students are encouraged, but not required, to contact their personal healthcare provider or University Health Services to see if they need any immunization updates.

  5. How do you define “incoming”?

    a. An incoming student is any degree-seeking student who is newly enrolling and attending the University of Cincinnati. This affects incoming students on the Clifton Campus in Fall 2017 and the Clifton, Blue Ash and Clermont campuses in Fall 2018.

  6. Which vaccinations are required?

    a. All incoming students on the Clifton Campus in the Fall of 2017 will be required to have the following vaccinations:  measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, varicella (chickenpox), hepatitis B and polio. (Note: Polio only required for those students who will be younger than eighteen (18) at the start of the semester)
    b. Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) and meningococcal type B (MenB) vaccine are strongly recommended but not required at this time. 

    c. Influenza, hepatitis A and human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccines are recommended but not required.

  7. How/why did you choose these particular vaccines?

    a. University health officials reviewed national guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American College Health Association and consulted with medical and public health experts.

    b. The UC immunization requirement is consistent with those vaccines already required by the State of Ohio for Grades K-12 students.

  8. Are there any exemptions/exceptions to this requirement?

    a. Yes, a student may submit an application for exemption due to a medical reason or religious reason.  Detailed instructions on how to apply for an exemption will be available on the secure portal.

  9. How do I submit my proof of vaccination?

    a. Once your admission is confirmed, visit the “Student Immunization and Health Screening Requirement - Overview and Instructions” page for information on how to submit the required paperwork.  Forms and instructions will be found on the secure portal for students.

  10. What records do I need to prove my vaccination status?

    a. You must submit the appropriate University of Cincinnati form found on the secure portal.  The form must be filled in and signed by a license healthcare provider (MD, DO, PA, NP). 

  11. What happens if I can’t find my immunization records?

    a. First check with your current physician or health care provider for your immunization records.  Next check with your parents or childhood health care provider.  b. If you are still unable to locate your records, there are several options to consider including having blood tests to verify immunity or receiving age-appropriate booster doses.  You should discuss your specific circumstances with a health care provider.  

  12.  I am an international student.  Does this requirement apply to me?

    a. Yes, all incoming international students are subject to the immunization and health screening requirement.  

    b. The required immunizations must follow the schedule outlined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

  13. I will be a new student in the Fall of 2017 and will be living off-campus. Will I still need to meet the immunization requirements?

    a. Yes, you will be required to have the same vaccinations as all new students.  

  14. I am at UC Blue Ash or UC Clermont.  Does this requirement apply to me?

    a. Yes, starting Fall Semester 2018. 

  15.  I am only taking Distance Learning classes.  Does this requirement apply to me?

    a. This requirement does not apply to you if you are in a Distance Learning program.

    b. This requirement does apply to you if you are in a non-designated Distance Learning (DL) program taking a distance learning class. 

    c. Requirements for health professions students already exist and are customized to the particular school.

  16. Does this requirement apply to faculty and staff?

    a. This requirement does not apply to faculty and staff unless they enroll as students at the University. 

  17. Can I get the required immunizations at UC?

    a. Yes, all of the vaccines and tuberculosis testing are available at University Health Services.  University Health Services accepts most private insurances, in addition to the campus Student Health Insurance Plan. 

  18. Are these immunizations covered by insurance?

    a. Since these vaccinations are considered preventive care, all should be covered by your health insurance plan if it is Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant. The University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan covers these vaccinations.  Please contact your private health insurance plan for questions regarding benefits and coverage.

  19. What happens if I don’t submit proof of immunizations or complete the TB screening/testing?

    a. Students who are not compliant by the time their next semester scheduling window opens up will be unable to register for classes until they have met this requirement. 

    b. For example, if you are a new student in Fall 2017, you must complete these requirements before you can register for Spring 2018 courses.

  20. Who can I call if I have other questions?

    a. For questions, please call University Health Services (513-556-2564).

  21. Where can I find out more information?

    a. About the vaccines: please refer to the CDC website

    b. About tuberculosis:  please refer to the CDC website (

    c. About the University of Cincinnati requirement:  First be sure to review the “Overview and Instructions” page.  If you have specific questions, please call or visit University Health Services (513-556-2564).