Today is Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018

Department of

University Health Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Student Immunization & Health Screening Requirement

  • Effective Fall Semester 2017 for UC Clifton
  • Effective Fall Semester 2018 for All Campuses (UC Clifton, Blue Ash and Clermont)

How do I submit my proof of vaccination?

UC has contracted with an external agency, Med+Proctor, to track and verify student’s immunizations and health screenings. Upon matriculation you will be invited to submit your documentation from Med+Proctor. The invite will be sent to your UC email address. View additional instructions for vaccinations based on major.

I didn't receive an email invite from Med+Proctor. What should I do?

The email invite may take 5 - 7 business days.  Don't forget to check your spam mail. Then, if you are sure that you did not receive one, please contact by email:  

I'm not sure if the requirement applies to me, how can I determine if I should submit my immunization documentation?

Review the Vaccination Requirements 2017 page "Who" section. All students required are outlined on this section of the page.

I am an international student.  Does this requirement apply to me?

  • Yes, all incoming international students are subject to the immunization and health screening requirement. 
  • The required immunizations must follow the schedule outlined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

I will be a new student in the Fall of 2017 and will be living off-campus. Will I still need to meet the immunization requirements?

Yes, you will be required to have the same vaccinations as all new students.  

I am at UC Blue Ash or UC Clermont.  Does this requirement apply to me?

Yes, but not until the Fall Semester 2018.

I am only taking Distance Learning classes.  Does this requirement apply to me?

  • This requirement does not apply to you if you are in a Distance Learning program.
  • This requirement does apply to you if you are in a non-designated Distance Learning (DL) program taking a distance learning class.
  • Requirements for health professions students already exist and are customized to the particular school.

Does this requirement apply to faculty and staff?

This requirement does not apply to faculty and staff unless they enroll as students at the University.

Does the University of Cincinnati (UC) have an immunization requirement?

  • Yes, the University of Cincinnati has an immunization and health screening requirement for all incoming degree-seeking students taking >six (6) credit hours and new international students.
  • This will be effective Fall Semester 2017 for the UC Clifton campus and Fall Semester 2018 for UC Blue Ash and UC Clermont campuses.
  • Immunizations and a health screening are already a requirement for health professions students.

Why have you added an immunization requirement?

  • Medical and public health evidence shows that higher levels of vaccination in a population lead to greater protection and less severe symptoms during an outbreak.  This is particularly important on a university campus where students are living, working and studying together in close proximity.
  • Immunizations promote good health in students. UC believes that good health is an integral component of holistic education.

Why have you added a health screening for tuberculosis (TB)?  

  • Many different factors can put someone at higher risk for tuberculosis infection.  The American College Health Association recommends universal screening of college students (including those without symptoms).  By screening for those risk factors, early treatment can begin for an infected individual and potential spread of an infection to others can be limited.  
  • On our campus, TB screening will be done through a few questions.  If you answer “YES” to any of those questions, then you will be required to undergo TB testing through a simple blood test or skin test. 

When does this requirement start?

  • The immunization and health screening requirement for incoming degree-seeking students and new international students on UC’s Clifton Campus starts Fall Semester 2017 (Fall Semester 2018 for UC Blue Ash and UC Clermont).
  • Returning students are encouraged, but not required, to contact their personal healthcare provider or University Health Services to see if they need any immunization updates.

How do you define “incoming”?

  • An incoming student is any degree-seeking student who is newly enrolling and attending the University of Cincinnati. This affects incoming students on the Clifton Campus (both East and West campuses) in Fall 2017 and the Clifton, Blue Ash and Clermont campuses in Fall 2018.

Which vaccinations are required?

  • All incoming students on the Clifton Campus in the Fall of 2017 will be required to have the following vaccinations:  measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, varicella (chickenpox), hepatitis B and Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) required for students who are 16  to 21 years of age .
  • Meningococcal type B (MenB) vaccine is strongly recommended but not required at this time
  • Influenza, hepatitis A and human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccines are recommended but not required.

How/why did you choose these particular vaccines?

  • University health officials reviewed national guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American College Health Association and consulted with medical and public health experts.
  • The UC immunization requirement is consistent with those vaccines already required by the State of Ohio for Grades K-12 students.  

Are there any exemptions/exceptions to this requirement?

A student may submit an application for exemption if the medical provider determines that immunization would be detrimental. Religious exemptions require verification by the student’s religious leader.  Detailed instructions on how to apply for an exemption are available on the secure portal.

What records do I need to prove my vaccination status?

You must submit the appropriate University of Cincinnati form found on the secure portal.  The form must be filled in and signed by a licensed healthcare provider.

What can you tell me about (Impact SIIS)?

  • If you were vaccinated in Ohio, you can call your pediatrician office or the health department. Many Ohio records have been transferred to (Impact SIIS) Statewide Immunization Information System.  All pediatrician offices and the health department have access to Impact SIIS, from there they can check to see if your childhood vaccines are on file.
  • To request records in Impact SIIS (PDF)
  • If you were not vaccinated in Ohio, try contacting a health department in your state and ask them if they have access to the SIIS system.

What happens if I can’t find my immunization records?

  • First check with your current physician or health care provider for your immunization records. 
  • Next check with your parents.
  • Call your high school to see if they have a record of your immunizations.
  • If you are still unable to locate your records, there are several options to consider including having blood tests to verify immunity or receiving age-appropriate booster doses.  You should discuss your specific circumstances with a health care provider. 

Can I get the required immunizations at UC?

Yes, all of the vaccines and tuberculosis testing are available at University Health Services.  University Health Services accepts most private insurance, in addition to the campus Student Health Insurance Plan.

Are these immunizations covered by insurance?

Since these vaccinations are considered preventive care, all should be covered by your health insurance plan if it is Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant. The University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan covers these vaccinations.  Please contact your private health insurance plan for questions regarding benefits and coverage.

What happens if I don’t submit proof of immunizations or complete the TB screening/testing?

Please note that this semester, there is no penalty or consequence for failing to meet the deadline, as we roll out this new process at the University.  However, students enrolled in specific health professions will be required to meet all requirements as outlined by their program or they will not be permitted to participate in clinical coursework.

Who can I contact if I have other questions?

What is the difference between a “vaccine” and an “immunization?”

Nothing, they are synonyms.

Where can I find out more information?