Global Surgery Rotation
The University of Cincinnati Global Surgery Program offers an 8-week elective General Surgery Rotation at Mzuzu Central Hospital in Malawi, Africa. Our program emphasizes a bidirectional partnership with our host-institution to ensure that in exchange for an unparalleled educational experience in General Surgery we are able to provide and enhance much-needed surgical services consistently over time. Residents at the 4th year level participate on rounds, run outpatient clinics, and perform basic and complex general and pediatric surgery cases throughout their time at Mzuzu Central Hospital. In addition to the clinical services provided, University of Cincinnati staff and Residents actively participate in educational programs for the Malawian clinical officers and nursing students in every aspect of patient care.
Mzuzu Central Hospital is a district Hospital and referral center in the Northern region of Malawi serving a catchment area of approximately 2.5 million people. Residents perform over 100 operations in a 2 month period of time, including a plethora of pediatric, gastrointestinal, urology, endoscopic, and head and neck cases.
To improve access to quality surgical care in Malawi
- To enhance surgical care and capacity in Malawi by utilizing senior U.S. surgical residents and consultants to support the infrastructure in place at Mzuzu Central Hospital
- To provide shared learning experiences and unparalleled educational opportunities in an austere environment
- To inspire a transformative approach to global health.
- Excellence in clinical services provided
- Respect for colleagues and staff at all levels
- Compassion for patients and their families
- Advocacy for those who are dedicated to improving healthcare in Malawi
Dr. Jocelyn Logan, MD, Director of Global Surgery Program, operates with Dr. Carey Watson (4th year surgical resident) and a Malawian Clinical Officer in training.
Medical students, nursing students, clinical officers gather for morning teaching rounds with Dr. Charles Park, Assistant Professor of Surgery and Supervisor for the Global Surgery Rotation.
Dr. Aaron Beckwith, 4th year surgical resident, operates with Dr. Douglas Lungu, Co-director of the Global Surgery Program in Malawi.
Dr. Charles Park, reviews the anatomy of the inguinal hernia with the Malawian clinical officer in training and a Sudanese medical student.
Dr. Aaron Beckwith treats a patient at Mzuzu Central hospital.
Dr. Aaron Beckwith travels with Dr. Douglas Lungu to assist in the delivery of food to flood-stricken regions of Malawi.