Summer Premedical Enrichment Program (SPEP)
The Summer Premedical Enrichment Program (SPEP) is a six-week residential summer program for 18 college juniors, seniors, and post-baccalaureate premedical students from the U.S. Students receive intensive exposure to medicine as a career through tours, speakers, seminars, and shadowing.
Students are exposed to the medical school experience and the academic curriculum through a noncredit course in cardio-physiology, extensive interaction with medical students and faculty, and detailed guidance through the medical school application process.
Emphasis is on strengthening critical thinking and problem-solving skills, increasing self-awareness, and making each participant a competitive medical school applicant.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Successful completion of at least two years of college level academic coursework, including basic biology and general chemistry pre-med requirements.
- Evidence of *disadvantaged status and/or member of an ethnic group traditionally underrepresented in medicine and biomedical research careers, including persons belonging to the following ethnic groups: African American, Mainland Puerto Rican, Mexican American, Native American, and Pacific Islander.
*Applications are welcome from students of any status and/or ethnic group; however, priority is given to those from an ethnic group described above and/or with a disadvantaged status.
Disadvantaged status may include:
- Economic: Family income is within federal low income guidelines (see online application for guidelines).
- Educational: Attending a small local or junior college or attended an inner city or rural high school (minimum undergraduate 3.25 GPA with a 3.0 in the sciences).
- Geographic: From a rural (not suburban) or inner city area.
- Socio-cultural: From an environment that inhibits obtaining the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability required to successfully enroll in and graduate from a health professions program.
Immunization information for accepted applicants
Accepted applicants must comply with all immunization requirements before the Program commences, in order to participate in clinical rotations.
Application Due 11:59 p.m.
Notification of Acceptance
June 17 – July 26, 2013
October 15, 2012
March 1, 2013
April 09, 2013
For more information regarding the Pathways to Health Careers Program, please contact:
Pathways to Health Careers
at the UC College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati
PO Box 670552
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0552
Phone: (513) 558-0693
Fax: (513) 558-6259