Benefits of the Program
The master's program in physiology provides a course of study designed to help college graduates strengthen their academic credentials in preparation for application to U.S. medical schools. As with similar programs (referred to as gap-year, glide-year, or special master's programs) at Georgetown University and Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), ours is a one-year course of study (see Program Comparison Chart). The special master's program in physiology provides an enriching experience that will:
- Expose students to the rigors and excitement of medical school coursework and the fundamentals of biomedical research.
- Allow students to take classes and identical exams with first-year medical students, and to be ranked in their performance directly against currently matriculated medical students, as well as recent graduates of the first-year medical student class.
- Provide students with significant insights into the medical school interview process with mock interview sessions in both the traditional interview process and those focused on multiple stations.
- Introduce students to the other exciting careers in the health professions. Students will learn about work in an interdisciplinary medical team, and the diversity of experiences available to enhance medical education and a medical career.
- Qualify out-of-state students for Ohio residency and subsequent application to the numerous medical schools in our state.
- Our small class size (32 students) allows us to devote significant resources to each student.