Requirements for Application to the MD Program
To qualify for admission to the UC College of Medicine, students must:
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident (with a permanent residency visa).
- A copy of a permanent residency visa is required and must be valid through the conclusion of a student's medical education (i.e., a minimum of 4 years following the date of matriculation).
- Have completed a minimum of 90 semester hours at a U.S. accredited four-year degree-granting institution of higher education. Students who have received a degree from, or are enrolled full-time in, an undergraduate college outside of the United States must have a graduate degree from a U.S. college or university or complete at least 20 hours of science coursework.
- Complete all degree requirements from any professional or degree-granting graduate program in which they are currently enrolled.
A baccalaureate degree is encouraged but not required.
All majors are valued. Students are expected to engage in a rigorous academic program grounded in the basic principles of the sciences fundamental to medicine and the psycho/social nature of humans. Applicants are expected to have the knowledge usually obtained in one-year courses in biology, general and organic chemistry, physics and mathematics.
Highly competitive applicants have completed coursework in the social, cultural and behavioral sciences. Knowledge of the basic principles of statistics and computer literacy are strongly recommended. All applicants should have acquired effective learning, communication and problem-solving skills.
Enrollment Requirements for the MD Program
Once accepted to the UC College of Medicine, students must complete a broad range of enrollment requirements including but not limited to:
- Activation of UC student email account
- A second criminal background check
- Immunization requirements
- Transcript submission
- University of Cincinnati Student Information System activities
- Pre-orientation assignments
As of April 2016, admitted students will receive an email instructing them to proceed to a "portal" containing all of their enrollment requirements. The enrollment requirements “portal” is found at the following link: https://portal.castlebranch.com/ni12. Using this link, admitted students must create an account (a non-refundable cost is associated with this portal and is assessed at registration). This portal will track all enrollment requirements, their associated deadlines, and progress towards completion. For questions about enrollment requirements/progress, admitted students should utilize the portal, which offers status updates in real-time and online help chat as well as assistance by phone or email.