Admissions for Medical Sciences Major
We are committed to attracting excellent students from across the nation and the world who come together on campus to form a community of scholars. Because our entering first-year class is limited to 50 students, admission to the program is quite selective, but we strive to maintain personal contact with you and your family throughout the process.
Admission to the Medical Sciences Program is very competitive. Students admitted to the Major in Medical Sciences are expected to have:
- ACT composite score of 29 or higher*
- SAT composite score of 1300 old SAT/ 1360 new SAT or higher (critical reading and math combined)*
- High school GPA of at least 3.5 (unweighted) or 3.7 (weighted)*
- Involvement in extracurricular activities
With the above in mind, we pay very close attention to co-curricular activities as well as the personal statement and essay that is submitted as part of the application for admission to the University of Cincinnati. Applications are reviewed holistically keeping all of these aspects in mind.
*Meeting the above academic standards does not guarantee admission.
Students seeking freshman admission to the major in Medical Sciences should apply via UC's central admissions portal.
Please Note: The deadline to apply for the Medical Sciences major is December 1.
Students may transition into the Medical Sciences major from a different UC college in fall, spring, or summer semesters. Students transitioning into Medical Sciences as juniors can expect to take an additional year to complete the major. Students must have a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA from UC, although meeting this GPA requirement does not guarantee admission into the major.
- Deadlines are as follows: Fall Semester (July 1); Spring Semester (November 1); Summer Semester (March 1)
- Fill out the Application for Change in College and Program form and return to the Program Coordinator, Beth Preising. You will receive notification of your acceptance or denial by Medical Sciences faculty & staff.
- If accepted, return the confirmation form to the Program Coordinator to confirm your transition into Medical Sciences and the College of Medicine.
The Medical Sciences major accepts transfer students on a case-by-case basis. Students are required to apply through UC's transfer admissions portal. Students can expect to meet with Medical Sciences staff before an admissions decision is made.
Transfer students must meet University transfer requirements as well as a minimum 3.2 cumulative GPA from a college or university. Please note that meeting these academic standards does not guarantee admission.
Students may apply for the University Honors Program and the Cincinnatus Scholarship. Financial aid to each student is reviewed annually and renewed based on satisfactory progress. For more information, visit UC's Student Financial Aid website.