Today is Thursday, Sep. 21, 2017

Medical Student Financial Services

Continuing Student Financial Aid Instructions: 2017- 2018

The instructions below are also available for download - 17-18 Continuing Student Instructions (PDF)


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)



Complete the 2017-18 FAFSA at  The medical school shares a federal Department of Education school code with the main university:

University of Cincinnati (003125)

Students who wish to receive consideration for UCCOM institutional need-based scholarships and/or need-based loans must include parental information on the FAFSA.  Answer 'Yes' to the question "Do you want to answer questions about your parents?" found in the Dependency Status section of the FAFSA. Students who respond 'No' will still receive full consideration for federal student loans.

IRS Data Retrieval

If you filed a federal tax return for 2015, you should use the IRS data retrieval tool when you complete the FAFSA.  Applicants who do not utilize the IRS data retrieval process and are selected for Verification will have to request a tax transcript from the IRS or document their status as a non-filer.

Statement on FAFSA and Divorced Parents


Students who wish to be considered for institutional need-based financial aid must supply parental information on the FAFSA.  If your parents are divorced and do not live together, answer the questions about the parent with whom you lived more during the past 12 months.  If this is equal or not applicable to you, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent.

UCCOM Financial Aid Application


Complete this application at Login using your ID and password and follow the links under "Financial Aid".  When the application is complete, click "Submit" to upload it to the Financial Aid Office.  Submit this application by March 15, 2017.

Need Access

The Need Access application is no longer available and will not be used to determine need-based financial aid after the 2016-17 academic year. Parental financial information will be collected through FAFSA instead (see above).

2015 Federal Tax Returns




If you apply for need-based aid, you must also submit signed copies of 2015 Federal Tax Returns (including all schedules) and W-2's for yourself, your spouse if you are married, and your parents to the Financial Aid Office.  Our contact information is available to the left. If you, your spouse, or your parents did not file and will not file a federal tax return for 2015, complete the 2015 Tax Waiver Statement, available on the website under Forms.

March 15, 2017 Application Deadline

The deadline to complete the financial aid application process is March 15, 2017.  You can check on the status of your application at Click on "Financial Aid" and follow the links. 

Award Letter Notification

In July, you will receive an email notification when your official award letter is available to view online. This notification will be sent to your UC email account and will direct you to the 'My Finances' tab at

Accept Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

Upon viewing your official award offer, you will then accept the amount of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds you wish to borrow for the upcoming year. Accept only what you are sure you will need. You can reduce your loan at any time. If you do not use your full eligibility, you can apply for additional funds later in the year. Keep in mind you must accept a minimum of $8,500 in order to keep any institutional aid from the College for which may have also been awarded.

Accept Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan If you need funds in addition to what is available in Unsubsidized Stafford loans, the next level of borrowing is the Federal Grad PLUS Loan. To receive this loan, you must submit a 'Grad PLUS Loan Request Form' to the College of Medicine Financial Aid Office. It is available in the Forms section of this website. This form can be submitted any time during the academic year. If you do not use your full eligibility, you can apply for additional funds later in the year.

If this is the first time you are borrowing a Grad PLUS Loan, complete a Grad Plus Master Promissory Note (MPN), available at For your school, select the University of Cincinnati, 2624 Clifton Ave., 440 University Pavilion. At this site you will also need to complete the Loan Entrance Counseling for the Grad PLUS Loan, indicating you are a graduate student.