Family Medicine Research Newsletters
In the News!
The UC COM’s Cross Cutting Research Award is given to recipients who have demonstrated a level of performance that places them in the top tier of their COM peers. This year’s award was presented to the Cincinnati Interprofessional Care Collaborative (CICC). The CICC has developed projects that are fundamentally interprofessional in their approach to improving the provision of care through innovation and quality improvement. CICC members come from the UC Colleges of Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy including Nancy Elder, MD, Soni Regan, PhD and Mary Beth Vonder Meulen, RN.
Charles Doarn, MBA has been nominated to the National Quality Forum (NQF) Telehealth Committee. The NQF, located in Washington DC, is funded by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for a year-long project titled "Creating a Framework to Support Measure Development for Telehealth." He is among 22 nationally recognized individuals from industry and academia.
Project TEAMS, lead by co-PI Nancy Elder, MD and supported by Research Division team members, Susan McDonald, MA and Harini Pallerla, MS, was awarded the Center for Clinical & Translational Science Training (CCTST) Practice-Based Research Award for demonstrating excellence and collaboration to improve health and wellness of their patients by integrating research and best practices in clinical care.
DFCM faculty member Anisa Shomo, MD and Research Division team member Daniel Hargraves, MSW, were recently selected to receive the Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training Academic-Community Research Partnership Award. This award honors an academic-community partnership that works collaboratively to facilitate innovation in research or quality improvement to impact the health of children, adults and/or communities.
Charles Doarn, MBA recently returned from Brussels, Belgium after attending the NATO Science for Peace and Security Programme Conference, which focused on the development of a multinational telemedicine system for emergency situations. Doarn was part of a discussion panel for the book "A Mulitnational Telemedicine Systems for Disaster Response: Opportunities & Challenges".
Saundra Regan, PhD and Daniel Hargraves, MSW, along with interprofessional partners from the College of Nursing and the Cincinnati Health Department, were recently selected to receive the Best Academic-Community Partnership Award at the fifth annual Appalachian Translational Research Network Health Summit, held Nov. 17-18 at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, for their poster presentation "Partnerships that Promote Integrated, Multidisciplinary Training Models Increasing Health Care Access for the Ohio Medicaid Population in a School-Based Health Center in an Appalachian Neighborhood.”
Manuscripts Recently Published or In Press
- Doarn CR. Interview with Arnold S. Barer, A Soviet Space Medicine Pioneer. Aerospace Med Hum
Perf 2017; 88(1):54-55.
- Venkatesh M, Doarn C, Steinhoff M, Ying J. Assessment of Burden of Seasonal Influenza in India
and Consideration of Vaccination Policy. Glob J Med Pub Health 2016; 5(5).
- Doarn CR, Latifi R. Telementoring and Teleproctoring in Trauma and Emergency Care. Curr
Trauma Rep 2016; 2(3):138-43. Jul 8, 2016.
- Doarn CR, Pantalos G, Strangman G, Broderick TJ. Surgical Capabilities for Exploration and Colonization Space Flight– An Exploratory Symposium. Houston: National Space Biomedical Research Institute; November 2016. Available at: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20150023251
Posters and Presentations
- Almassalkhi L, Welch J, Wigle P, Hincapie A, White C. Determining Resident Physicians Concerns
in Selecting an Anti-Depressant Medication Using Best-Worst Scaling Surveys. A poster
presentation at the American Society of Health-System Pharmacist Midyear Meeting, Las
Vegas, NV, December 7, 2016.
- Regan S, Hargraves D, McIntosh D, Kiesler J, Shomo A, Crumpton M, White C, Cosse K, Fulton K. Partnerships that Promote Integrated, Multidisciplinary Training Models Increasing Health
Care Access for the Ohio Medicaid Population in a School-Based Health Center in an
Appalachian Neighborhood. A poster presented at the 5th Annual Appalachian Translational
Research Network Health Summit; Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center,
Cincinnati, OH, November 17-18, 2016.
- Tubb M, Baskaran B, Subramaian N, Vonder Meulen MB, Boling H, Regan S, Acquavita S,
Harnett B, Elder NC, Pallerla H, Doarn C. Iterative Usability Testing and Design of e-Quit
worRx: an iPad App for Use in Primary Care Practices to Promotoe Smoking Cessation
Shared Decision Making. A poster presented at the 44th Annual Meeting of the North
American Primary Care Research Group, Colorado Springs, CO, November 12-16, 2016.
- Elder NC (presenter), McDonald S, Pallerla H, Forbriger A, Boone J. Identification and
Assessment of Chronic Pain in Primary Care Practice Using Existing Electronic Health
Record Data. An oral presentation at the 44th Annual Meeting of the North American
Primary Care Research Group, Colorado Springs, CO, November 12-16, 2016.
- Sian Cotton Ph.D. was awarded a UC LEAF grant for the academic year 2015-2016 for the proposal Improving well being in health care professionals using Mind Body Skills Training CENTILE International Conference. The UC Center of Integrative Health and Wellness is the co-sponsor of CENTILE’s International Conference to Promote Resilience, Empathy and Well-Being in Health Care Professions. www.centileconference.org