Emergency Medical Services
All fire departments and medical transportation services are required by state law to have a physician medical director. UC Department of Emergency Medicine's Division of EMS provides this service to over 30 departments in the region including Hamilton, Warren, Butler and Clermont counties.
Bringing quality health care to the community through:
- Medical Direction for over 30 Fire Departments in Southwest Ohio, covering a population over 650,000
- One of the first nationally accredited EMS Fellowship Programs in the country
- Providing over 14,000 hours of EMS Continuing Education hours to the EMS/Fire Community
- Providing the Physician First Responder Training course to first year Medical Students
- Leadership in regional disaster responses
- International response to catastrophes and medical support to specialty service units in the region such as SWAT, Urban Search & Rescue, Mass Gathering Events, and Ohio Task Force One.
The EMS Division also boasts specialized services including Special Operations; Tactical EMS; Dignitary Protection; Emergency Management; Mass Gathering and Mass Casualty Care; and Urban Search and Rescue.
WVXU: Challenges Facing Local Emergency Medical Services and How They Are Saving Lives Daily
University of Cincinnati's Donald Locasto, MD and Dustin Calhoun, MD discuss local emergency service efforts amid the continuing opioid crisis on 'Cincinnnati Edition.'
WVXU Link to Broadcast
National Association of EMS Physicians
NAEMSP is an organization of physicians and other professionals partnering to provide leadership and foster excellence in the subspecialty of EMS medicine.
This year’s annual meeting was held January 24th – 26th in New Orleans, Louisiana.
EMS members, past and present, gather to catch up...
J. Benoit MD, M. Bohanske MD, C. Brent MD, D. Calhoun MD,
M. Chinn MD, W. Curry MD, J. Gadbois MD, R. Gerecht MD,
T. Lardaro MD, A. Larrimore MD, A. Latimer MD, D. LeBlanc MD,
D. Locasto MD, J. McMullan MD, H. Schwartz MD, M. Steuerwald MD,
D. Strong MD, S. Ward PA-C
Div. of EMS - Mission Statement:
The primary mission of the EMS Division is tripartite, but exclusively focused on support of the communities in the Cincinnati region. The three missions, represented by the three stars in the division patch are:
- Support research that advances the fund of knowledge utilized by EMS;
- Provision of education to and about Emergency Medical Services;
- Provide prehospital medical direction and support to the region.
Div. of EMS - Vision:
Prompt exceptional prehospital care through research, education & medical direction.