Visiting Student Information
The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine offers electives for medical students from U.S. and international medical schools. A maximum of two four-week electives can be taken for a total of eight weeks.
Our senior electives are designed specifically for students who have already completed one full year of in-hospital clinical training prior to an anticipated elective. It is necessary that visiting students first complete basic clerkships in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry, family medicine and obstetrics/gynecology before participating in these electives.
Prospective applicants who have already graduated from medical school are not eligible to participate.
For purposes of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Visiting (Exchange) Student Program, schools are categorized as:
- domestic – accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education [LCME] or American Osteopathic Association [AOA], and
- international – all other schools.
Details of the rules, regulations and requirements for this program are included in the Visiting Student Guidelines (PDF) as approved by Faculty Council.
All visiting students are subject to the rules and regulations that apply to UCCOM students and to any health care facilities to which they are assigned. Violation of any school policy may result in immediate withdrawal from the program. Registration and continued participation in the program is based on satisfactory academic performance and behavior.
Any student whose performance is substandard or unsatisfactory may be administratively withdrawn by the UCCOM Dean’s Office with no further right of appeal.
- All visiting student rotations must abide by the requirements set by the UCCOM.
- Visiting students are expected to adhere to the UCCOM clinical rotation dates and are not allowed to do independent study.
- Visiting students must obtain departmental/UCCOM approval for the elective.
- All senior electives are offered in English; students must be fluent in the English language.
- Visiting students must be enrolled, in good academic standing at their home institutions, as full-time medical students with training comparable to that of a 4th year UCCOM student.
- We do not accept visiting students for Core Clerkships or specialty rotations in their third year.
- Applications can take up to six (6) months to be processed and all supporting documents must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
- Maximum number of weeks allowed for a rotation at UCCOM is eight (8).
- Once a student has been scheduled for an elective, no changes in the assignment are allowed.
- All students are required to sign up for a Blood-borne Pathogen Insurance Policy purchased through the University of Cincinnati. The cost is $37.00.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Visiting students are responsible for their own room and board.
- The Pediatric program requires one letter of recommendation for both domestic and international students.
- Each department may have additional acceptance criteria.
- To apply, please complete and submit a VSAS on-line application for your preferred electives and dates.
Note: Dermatology and Orthopedics will only accept the UCCOM Visiting Medical Student paper application
- A complete checklist with application requirements can be found by downloading the Visiting Medical Student Application Checklist (PDF) for domestic medical schools
- International students are accepted on a limited basis. A maximum of four (4) international students, per clinical department, can be accepted in any given academic year.
- To apply, please complete a UCCOM Visiting Medical Student paper application for your preferred electives and dates.
- All supporting documents must be translated into the English language. Only originals with signatures are accepted and photocopies are not acceptable.
- A non-refundable processing fee of $250 US must be submitted upon notification of acceptance by the Office of Student Affairs.
- Visiting students must have personal health insurance from a US carrier that will be in effect for the duration of the rotation.
- Students need to complete the protocol issued by University of Cincinnati regarding US International Services.
- A complete checklist for application requirements can be found by downloading the Visiting Medical Student Application Checklist (PDF) for international medical schools.
If you need more information about Medical Student Education or the curriculum analysis and revision process at the UC College of Medicine, please contact:
UC College of Medicine
Medical Student Education
231 Albert Sabin Way
Cincinnati, OH 45267