The initial appointment process for full-time and adjunct faculty requires approval at various administrative levels. The following steps are required for each appointment.
A complete file for a new appointment must include:
- Approved open requisition
- Record of Action Form (DOC) with appropriate signatures
- All letters of recommendation (as determined by Department RPT criteria)
- Curriculum vitae
- Approved on-line A900
- Proposed letter of appointment
- Post-hire details completed
- Signed letter of appointment
With regard to approval of the title request, the “RANK RULE” determines whether or not the College ARPT Committee must consider the appointment recommendation. The Rank Rule states:
“The College ARPT Committee must consider and approve the title request for all ranks in the tenure track, and the ranks of Associate Professor and Professor in the Research, Clinical, and Field Service Tracks.”
In cases where the College ARPT Committee must consider the appointment, submit a copy of the dossier via email. In the other cases, where only the Dean must consider the appointment, an original and one (1) copy of Documentation Materials in two (2) separate files must be submitted. The materials to be submitted include:
- Record of Action Form
- Department Director’s recommendation in letter form and approval signature on Record of Action form.
- Department ARPT Committee Chair’s approval signature on Record of Action form (not required for Volunteer and Visiting Tracks.)
- Current curriculum vitae of faculty candidate. The listing of authors or publications in the bibliography must be in the order in which they were published in the journal. The full title of all listed publications and inclusive pages must be given. Abstracts and books must be listed separately from full papers. The curriculum vitae must also list past, present, and pending extramural grant support, including funding agency, the name of the principal investigator(s), the title of the project, level of funding, and project period. A summary of courses taught and lectures given must be included to document teaching. A summary of clinical activities should be included, if relevant. Work on committees should include dates of service, the full name of the committee, the organization for which the committee works, and a brief description (1-2 lines) of the duties of the committee.
- Letters of recommendation – At least three letters of recommendation from faculty who are in a position to judge the quality of the candidate’s activities are required.
Qualified Faculty Titles
Qualified faculty titles are titles in the Field Service, Adjunct, Research, and Clinical series. Faculty members with qualified titles do not have the right to request a review for tenure.
Unqualified Faculty Titles
All tenure track faculty appointments shall be identified by one of the following unqualified titles: Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor or Instructor.
- Complete a requisition to open position in People Admin and complete the position approval process.
- Complete and attach the Faculty Requisition Signature Check Sheet to the People Admin requisition (scan and attach in the "Document" section.)
Following approval of the requisition from search committee and candidate selection:
Complete the A900 portion (Hiring Proposal) of the People Admin requisition, attaching any necessary documentation. Upon approval submit to the Office of Faculty Affairs
Prepare candidate dossier for title approval and submit to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
Following approval, submit initial letter of offer to the Office of Faculty Affairs. The following forms are available to assist you during this step:
Checksheet for letters of appointment for new basic science faculty appointments (PDF)
Checksheet for letters of appointment for new clinical faculty (PDF)
Templates - (CURRENTLY UNDER REVISION)
- Faculty Appointment with Tenure (SFT)(DOC)
- Faculty Appointment - Clinical Track (DOC)
- SFT - Faculty Appointment (FieldService or Educator Track)
Curriculum Vitae Template (DOC)
Following approval of letter of offer, submit new hire documentation to the Office of Faculty Affairs. *Please note that at this time, payroll requires an original I-9 and, therefore, this new hire documentation cannot be submitted electronically.
Instructions for completing a new non-faculty appointment (Research Associates/Scientists, Visiting titles, etc.)
1. Open a position (three options for doing this) via People Admin:
- Create Position
- Change Existing Vacant Position
- Fill Vacancy
If you are creating a position, that means you do not already have an SAP number. So after choosing Create Position from the Drop Down (on the Posting Details tab) type TBD in the field that is labeled SAP Position Number. Once the requisition goes through the work flow, Compensation will create your SAP number and fill that field in for you.
If you are to Change an Existing Vacant Position – such as the title, track, rank etc of an already established position, you would type in the current information in the field labeled SAP Position Title, the SAP number that has already been assigned and then the title you want it to be changed to in the field labeled Job Title. Then on the Funding/PBC tab, please fill out the previous title, rank, track, etc. that you are changing so when the requisition gets to Compensation, they can make the changes in UCFLEX.
If you are to Fill Vacancy, that means you already have the SAP number and are simply filling a vacancy with no changes to the title, track, etc.
2. Advertise the position (or request to waive advertisement). If requesting a waiver, please email the request to Faculty Affairs for review and recommendation to OEO office for approval.
3. Process A-900 (submitted on-line) through PeopleAdmin
4. Upon approval of Requisition, send the Letter of Offer to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
5. Upon notification of Dean’s approval of the letter of offer, please scan the signed letter of offer into the Document Tab in People Admin and complete post hire details. Faculty Affairs will mark as hiring complete and send to H.R. for approval. You will be notified by email that position is approved.
6. Send hard copies of the following to the Office of Faculty Affairs:
Detailed Instructions for Various Titles:
Requisition for Track Switch Only
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Office of Faculty Affairs
2220 Victory Parkway
Mail Location 0554
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0554
Hours of operation:
7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2220 Victory Parkway
Administration Building, 5th Floor, Room 511
Mail Location 0554
Cincinnati, OH 45206